Thursday, August 6, 2009

Stalled a bit...

I'm just checking in to my blog as I haven't posted in quite a while. I have had to redirect my efforts from quilting to webmastering for the time being. I am on the executive board of a statewide educator organization and we just had a BUSY and productive strategic planning meeting last week here in Solvang. We all enjoy each other's company so much, so the social side of it was really fun for me. We had a great dinner at Mattei's Tavern eating good food and catching up with each other's news. Then the next morning it was nose to the grindstone as we made plans for training our membership in the coming year. I found the group WUNderful accomodations at The Inn at Petersen Village including great food (again I refer to food), beautiful rooms, a really nice meeting room, and an amazing host in Adam Petersen. Thanks again Adam, I hope we can return every year!

On to the important stuff. With the declining budget in California, education has been hard-hit. Our teachers are losing their jobs. Our membership is in decline. So, we as an organization have to really tighten our belt. Result is I have taken on many more responsibilities that were previously done by a paid event planner. The school year is about to begin and I have to get our newsletter out, membership forms designed, conference flyers created and then get these printed and out to the schools. And I retired to smell the roses!! Ha. Actually, I am happy to help out and keep my finger in the pie, sort of. I have withdrawal pains just thinking of leaving my colleagues behind and doing just retirement stuff.

So, my quilting. I'll get back to it soon. I am obsessing, compulsively perhaps, on finishing my new Registrar chores. My sewing machine better not develop any rust while I get revved up to turn it on and finish my Carolina Lily and Stars and Cards block. Even my sister Leslie, who was behind, has flown past me and she will now have to guide me through the intricacies of that complex Stars block!! Truth be told, I have kind of enjoyed the vacation from having to decide which fabrics belong to which piece and review again, "how big?".

Talk soon. Bonnie

No comments: